Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Uno mas

Same forecast as yesterday but I spent all day checking the webcam at Locus, scrutinizing the single frames we would get due to the internet slow-down ... no white-caps at all :( not looking good. I decide to swing past the lake anyway ... which was just as well, cos there was wind!

Out comes the Speed3 again; I measure 10 to 12 knots - is it going to do what it did last night, I wonder? Uncle No-relaunch tells me it's less wind than yesterday ... we'll see ...

Wind holds steady and builds a bit ... I start riding straight tacks back to my starting spot then the wind picks up and I have spare space downwind to jump and play silly buggers! Big fat slow back rolls - and I even start doing front rolls again. Managed a double front roll but muffed the landing ... total fluke though!
Getting plain ol' jumps down good, thanks to kitejohan on YouTube ... felt like I got dropped on a couple, and I think it's cos I'm not redirecting aggressively enough.

Oh it was just after I got onto the water that I felt something give in the harness ... I thought a strap had slipped so I reached down to tighten it and ... the entire strap pulled out into my hand! I thought may be it had rotted away but no, the end was cut clean. I secured the strap and kept riding :D
When I got off the water, it appeared that the top straps for the spreader bar have been secured with only the cosmetic stitches that join the two dissimilar material of the harness, instead of the box stitch I can see on the bottom straps and in photos on the internet :o yikes! Have emailed Dakine ...

On the other hand, the strap that came apart on the Flydoor is holding up ok!

Moment of the Day has been forgotten again but I remember it was something simple and when I thought about writing this section, I remember it was going to be something clever like "Moment of the Day was not the effortless back rolls or the long, floating front rolls but something it's just the little things like ..." and that's what I forgot. It was probably just the fact that I spent the whole time riding, from 4:30 to sunset at 6-ish while EVERYONE else (except for the Master of Disaster on the raceboard) had to walk - even Taki on his 14m North and directional ... all hail Armin!

Wind speed I can report accurately this time ... 5 knots at 4pm building to 15 at 6pm with gusts to 20! I never felt overpowered on the 21 and remember the gusts only as a twitch of the bar ...

What I learned today ...
• Perhaps I do need to redirect more aggressively ...
• Speed3 21 doesn't turn much slower my 16m Crossbow but requires more muscle in the turns. Or so it seems anyway!
• Front rolls need an assist from the kite ... so far. But are do-able.
• Should probably replace the lines, FLS line and depower line ... and learn how to wax!
• Such as stable kite! I'm being more aggressive with it and doing worse things with regards to riding towards it etc but the worst shape I've managed to get it into, have been both tips tucking while it was perpendicular to the water ... then it just powered up again when I sheeted in! I'm lovin' it!

EDIT : here are some pics of what happened - on the left, the failure and on the right the yet to fail ... single row of cosmetic stitches holding the upper straps in o_0 I'm surprised it lasted this long!

 

UPDATE : After a month of trying to sort out a Japanese distributor, Dakine Hawaii has sent me a replacement 2011 harness in green ... good job! Better fit for me too, dunno why!

No comments:

Post a Comment