Friday, September 23, 2011

Gusty, lully and a comp

So we got wind again. Was supposed to be best from 2pm so I headed down the lake about 1. There was the competition on so they'd taken over the best half of the beach with HORDES of kites OMG there must have been 40 there!

I shuttled my gear down the other end of 'our' beach - long walk through deep sand with 2 boards and 2 Crossbows!!! Delighted to see another Flysurfer rider there, with a Psycho4 12 laid out and a Speed3 15 in the sky! Felt a bit of a traitor for not having my 21 with me :D Guy also had a Flyrace and when the course racing started, he whipped out a S3 19 DLX and went upwind like ... well like nothing I've seen before. He came in second cos he made a bad start ... looked to me like he was 100m behind the pack at the horn :o
Stood around thinking of what to set up, and the wind picked up. Put up the 13.

Good call. Gusty as hell but got some fun in. Landed some schwee-eeeet back rolls, boosted a few big jumps but it was again so punchy that it wasn't much fun ... at least there wasn't as much crap in the water and the sun was warm! There was enough wind for me to get out on the Flyradical for a time too ... such a different board! So much spring in it too, I'm starting to appreciate it more - popped off the water for a backroll but the board boinged me around for a double that I ALMOST landed ... need a TON of weight on the back-foot though!

Wind dropped off and I had to walk back to our spot. Waited around for a while and eventually the wind picked up. I pumped up the 16 and went to work on that. A shorter session but the wind was more consistent so it was more fun ...

Probably spent as much time waiting as riding but it was nice to be out again!

Moment of the Day was being the only one out on the water cos it was too windy and busting a huge fat air with hours of hang-time in the middle of the competition zone ... take that!
Or maybe meeting another FSer :D

Wind speed was recorded as 13 knots falling to 8 with gusts up to 29 knots :o

What I learned today ...
• Flyradical has a lot of pop.
• Flysurfer Speed3 19 and Flyrace - there is simply no competition for upwind angle OMFG it was amazing to watch!
• Time to wear wetsuit ...

No comments:

Post a Comment