Thursday, September 22, 2011

Gusty much?

Finally! We got some wind at the lake ... typhoon dragged, deposited or dropped some wind on us so I'm not complaining.

Got to the lake at 4 - right in the middle of the wind drop off. "Oh it was great at 1 and 2pm ... you shoulda been here then!" yeah no duh :-/ Didn't look like much had happened but I'd gone to the effort of putting on my wetsuit for the first time this season so ... everyone was pumping up bigger kites so I set up the 16m Crossbow. Just as I'd finished sorting it all out, the wind picked up again. Put the kite out and headed out, feeling powered.

Ooh yes, feeling very powered. After a bit, I had to totally depower the kite. I had moments of thinking "Aw crap I'm going to have to swim in aren't I?" and other moments of "Aw crap I'm going to get lobbed and I'll end up in the next county over won't I?" :o it was a bit like that. In between survival mode, I tried to do my thing. Boosted a few cracking good jumps, did some nice back-rolls but the wind felt too twitchy to try anything iffy. Got yoinked a few times randomly too which is always fun. Surfed a few waves ... had a great time. Stayed out till the sun set ...

Moment of the Day was boosting a big fat air in the middle of a gust and just sitting up there, looking around. "Ho hum nice view ... better not land on the pointy stick oh it's ok I'm floating way past it!" :D

Wind speed was recorded as 14.8 knots to 16.2 average ... with gusts up to 29.8 :o no wonder the 16 was misbehaving!

What I learned today ...
• Crossbow has mad wind range.
• I don't like using the 16 in more than 25 knots.
• Gusts suck.
• Unless you can use them to boost to the moon.
• It's time for the wetsuit.
• Back-rolls are mastered - get to work on the front-rolls, sissy!

No comments:

Post a Comment