Monday, August 8, 2011

Sunset Silberpfeil Special Session

Looked like a viable light wind afternoon from 1pm till dark on the interweb's forecast so I trotted off to the lake. Got there about 2pm and sat around, had a swim for an hour cos there was no wind. About 4pm I decided to try anyway so set up the Silberpfeil and got in the water ...

Working it downwind, walking back up the beach. I think I did 3 times ... on the last tack out and during the walk back up the beach, I watched Junkie-Sensei unpack a brand new Slingshot Turbine 17m and had jump in the water just before I started going back out. He was making ground upwind so I had high hopes :)

Yes! Upwind finally! I'm parked and flying but Junkie-Sensei is still working the Turbine a little ... seems to me like the big T is very close to the bottom end of the Speed2 19 but the Silberpfeil is still Uber Alles!

So proceeds the afternoon ... I honk about on the SA throwing down my jumps and trying to make ground back upwind. It was tough for a while, the wind was only just ... picked up for a bit towards the end and I was able to easily make ground but ... would lose it all in the jumps :D

Fucking powered paraglider moron - comes down to buzz the beach like they often do. Ok buzz the beach at about 50m up. Must have given him a scare on one of my jumps cos when I looked up at the kite, the PPG was making evasive maneuvers up there to avoid the Silberpfeil. Idiot.

Had reset the front lines to include a bunch of backstall, but was riding around with the kite trimmed a little ... seemed to need it right down at the low end ... hmm. No issues with it, only remember once muffing a turn and having the kite float on me, but grabbing the leader line sorted it out. North Rebel and LF Havoc both went down, unable to relaunch and had to swim for it. Miyachi had trouble relaunching his new 14m RPM too.

Got darker and darker, the YMCA kids came out for a campfire at the other end of the beach, so I showed off to them for a bit before calling it a day and packing up just on dark. Wife was a bit stressed because I hadn't checked it ... but I was having too much fun!

Moment of the Day was a brown pantser - coming back into shore for the last time, thought I'd throw a little jump within a line's length of the beach ... and it turned into a monster boost with a lot of downwind drift 0_o I redirected the kite and edged up thinking I was going to get pulled into the shore - again - but managed to stop within a meter of the beach. Never again :D

Wind speed was recorded as 3.2 to 5.1m/s (6 to 10 knots) from 4 to 7pm, with a peak gust of 8.1m/s at 5. Another wind site recorded 7m/s ... it felt like 10 to 14 knots to me, mostly on the low end of that - I was parked'n'riding but working hard to get upwind and losing a lot when I jumped.

What I learned today ...
• In the build-up to the jump ... with the Speed - dunno about my other kites yet - it's better to load your edge then launch off both feet rather than try a load'n'pop. Much more of a slingshot effect up and out!
• Don't boost jumps close to the shore cos you'll scare yourself when (thank you Mr. Murphy) you get more float than you expected and drift at the shore.
• It's amazing the contortions you'll put yourself through to land a jump and not dunk your Flysurfer :D

No comments:

Post a Comment