Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Whee!BoingVer2.0

Forecast was looking like 10 to 15 knots so it was all go for the lake. Thinking it'd be a 16m Crossbow kind of day, with the Flyradical and the GoPro on the new KiteHero board mount. Checked the webcam at 4pm and Grandpa was out on his 9m ... crikey!

Got to the lake about 4:30 after spending 120 seconds screaming at the unnecessary roadworks that drive up my blood pressure and fuel taxes and peaked through the trees ... people were coming in on their 11's and 10's and going on 7's :o all I have in the boot is my 16 & 13m Crossbow ... this could be fun.

Put the 13 on my back, the Flyradical under one arm and the Flydoor under the other - options, you know. Head over the road, pump up, gaze with deer-in-the-headlight eyes at the wind ... crikey! Good turn out today, pretty busy out on the water. Lot of kites on the beach too. The Slingshots seem to have been breeding too - there like 3 RPM's now. The Master of Disaster is boosting huge airs and "woohoo!"ing - it's the one thing he does half-good, aside from taking people out.

Auntie tries to talk me out of launching the 13 but I convince her that I am NOT going home for my 10 - and anyway, I've cheated and rigged the kite on the last knots of the rear-lines' bridle :D yes I know I know ... thank you Plummet & Peter. Forecast was supposed to peak at 4pm then drop off at sunset - which it did so I feel vindicated.

It's a very odd thing ... there's a heap of wind, the kite pulls hard but also depowers at a twitch of the wrist. Hmm, should have gone for the regular knots cos I'm constantly pulling the bar in. Oh well, too late - get riding while the riding is good.

Big jumps both directions, I got my mojo on and am having mad fun going as hard as I can, landing what feels like most of them and riding the waves. The small board is still giving me trouble though, it's so not the 'door :D Wind is gusty and the water is choppy but it's great fun!

Get spanked once or twice, can't remember why now but I do remember getting slapped by the water and thinking "Hey that felt just like falling off the 3m diving board!". Get some nice toeside riding in and smack a few wave-faces with accompanying cackles. Got a few really good aerial transitions in too, starting off as a 2m jump then sending it back ...

Damned GoPro lens has a fog spot in the center grr seriously annoying. I leave it and it seems to be clearing so I forget about it. Then a bit later I notice the camera is showing "999" files. Have a fiddle, get an SOS so a corrupt file is jacking it up. Bah! bet I need to put a bit of high-density foam under the mount for the shocks ... hope I can recover some film from it!

Wind is dropping now, been cracking-on for about 90 minutes ... people are starting to pack up - Wha-aaat! I head into the shore to reset my attachment points. Still too weak, so I jump on the Flydoor. Ah, that's better! Get another hour or so in; initially, some nice big air but the wind's still dropping. At sunset, it's only me and Soh out but I'm pretty hammered so I bring it in, self-land cos it's just me on the beach. Soh keeps trying but he's only down-winding it.

What a kick-ass evening! Much more wind than forecast but I'm kinda glad I didn't have the 10m after all ...

Windspeed was reported at 25 knots at 4pm falling to 10 knots around 8pm but it felt like more than that :D

Moment of the Day was discovering that sending the kite across the zenith fast, sheeting in hard generates a new style of water start - pop up and out like a champagne cork :D well it was a tie between that and "ollie"ing up the face of a 'breaker' and sorta blasting through the white-wash at the top ...

Shot from the upcoming theatrical release ...



What I learned today ...
• When using the board mount for the GoPro - point it away from the sun you dumbass :(
• Still need to put desiccant thingies in the case ...! FFS
• If you mess up the take-off and feel yourself starting to rotate, you can choke it off by not sending the kite back so far.
• When sending the kite back for a change of direction, send it AGGRESSIVELY or it just won't work.
• Pop-up water starts ...!
• Needed my Sharks :(

No comments:

Post a Comment