Friday, July 29, 2011

3-kite marathon!

Hurt my back 2 weeks ago - first day of the holidays FFS so laid up for a while ... thank god it was only pulled muscles - I hope! - so am back, looking for a fix. Forecast let us down the past week or so - Thursday even had the cheek to switch it around to southerlies! - and today wasn't looking any better ... 8 knots forecast at 12pm. Checked web-cam at 11:30 and it looked ok so I headed down to the lake ...

Got on the water about 12pm - I'm the only one there. I'm riding with the Silberpfeil, but they're downwinders ... walk up the beach a few times. Which is cool, cos riding at all is better than not riding and the water is buttah flat! Found a stag beetle on its back at the shore so rescue it cos hey I'm just that nice. Funny little buggers, very cute with their dopey-looking eyes-on-stalks and he didn't want to bite me or whatever they do, so I put him on the dry sand and left him to it ...

That was about as exciting as it got for what felt like an hour or so, until the wind picked up and I started having some Yee-hah! fun. Jumps and fun ... it's all good!

WTF moment of the day - my spreader bar unhooks itself so I'm only half hooked into the kite ... can't hold it at full power so I drop the kite at the edge of the window and sort the harness out. I think the lock-clasp got knocked out and me adjusting the straps somehow upset it ... doh! Now, the kite. it's in a bit of a mess, sitting wing-tip on -tip so I swim around trying to get some wind under it. Eventually get it to reverse launch position but my impatience twists it up again ... more messing around but finally get it back in the air! WTF again ... and am now miles from my board - can't see it at all. Drag back upwind and there it is! Keep riding.

Now I'm overpowered - dangerously, I reckon - any sheeting in results in a lofting. I land the SA2 on the FDS and back it up. Head back to the car and grab the Flyradical and the Crossbow 13. By now, a few people have arrived and it's about 2:30pm. Enough time before work for another session :D Pump up, launch and go out with the Flydoor but the 13 isn't up to the job ... ride around for a bit working the hell out of it but I'm not having fun. Land it, go BACK to the car and get the Crossbow 16. Repeat ...

Start out nicely powered and having fun but now the wind's picked up and I have to depower the kite - I'm on the Flyradical and it's still too much. Well not really cos I stay out till I pack up at 5pm-ish :D

Man, the bar pressure is killing my hands! I gotta replace this kite! Compared to the 13, it's a joke. Compared to the Flysurfer Speed2 - known for bar pressure - it's nowhere near as bad! It's not the turning that's the problem, it's the holding the bar in! I get some OK jumps in but I bet they'd be better with the 13. Get myself spanked a few times too which is always entertaining ... but I'm going to be sore tomorrow. And it seems the sunblock has worn off so I'm going to be even more sore ... whee.

Back it up like a broken old man and hobble back to the car ... it's 5:40pm and I have to be at work at 7:30pm, fed, showered and shaved - thank god I only live 20 minutes from the lake :D

Moment of the Day was not having to swim in with the SA. And it not drifting into the buoy with the gardening pole on top 0_o

Wind speed was recorded as 4 to 10 knots, averaging around 8 knots for most of my session and peak gust at 4pm of 16 knots. What a pile of crap - it had to be around 15knots for most of my LEI session! I reckon 15 to 20 when I was on the 16 cos it was mad and I really should have gotten the 13.

What I learned today ...
• Be more thorough when applying sunblock :(
• I need to replace the 16m Crossbow - my hands are shredded!
• Need to tune the SA to sort out the line lengths ... start with the depower rope though - I think it's stretched.
• Man, I gotta work on the skills with the Flyradical ... just didn't feel connected to it at all eh :(
• Another flawless session with the 720-armour Sharks - my, they're great!

No comments:

Post a Comment