Friday, July 15, 2011

Tea-bag Transitions

First Saturday off work in a long time but there's no wind at the lake forecast, but there is some at the ocean in Mie. It's supposed to be much the same as the other day I went and that hardly blew my skirts up so I spend the morning humming and harring about it. Normally, there'd be NO humming at all but with the boo-boo on my toe, it's kinda hard to walk ... but in the end I just figure WTH it's gotta be better than sitting in front of the TV!

So I jump in the car about 1pm, suffer the traffic - seriously, who reads a newspaper while trying to drive? oh fat-ass in the shit-box in front of me does - and finally get to the beach around 2:30pm ... oh goody, continuing the theme of being surrounded by annoying half-wits - the local university students have decided to have beach parties  to celebrate a whole winter of not dumping rubbish on the beach so there's hordes of 20-somethings running around screaming like they're fresh out of day-care and the mommies are having a tea-break  :-/

Sigh.

Big turn-out though, there's a bunch of kiters and a couple of windsurfers ... Boofhead is there, Junkie Sensei is on the water and Granpa is in the carpark so we have a chat - Hironobu is in Tokyo for school tests (?) so he's on his own and reckons I need 'that white thing' today. I measure 5 to 6 m/s so I agree with him, but I'm a bit nervous about unrolling the precious session-saver on the trash strewn beach with crowds of retards around and then trying to ride in the light wind on a choppy ocean ... well at least the tide is out and I can see that damn pipe I chopped my shins and toe on, and the waves aren't so huge.

Have to head down the beach a lot further than usual to get some clear space to unpack and roll out the lines - not much open space with sand to weight the tip here ... but we get set up and launch eventually and onto the water.

Wind is ok, nicely powered so it's all smiles and cackles as I take a few tacks quietly to settle my nerves. Ocean is a lot flatter than it has been but it's still hard keeping up board speed through the chop ... day dreams of a Mako.

Relaxed now so I start trying to do some jumps but the board speed isn't there and can't get the timing so I give up and play silly buggers. Load'n'pops are monster big but the landings are harsher than proper jumps! Playing with slide transitions and toeside riding and even have a crack at aerial transitions. That leads to some falls and stalls of the kite but some canty line-pulling keeps the beautiful white tractor in the sky and off the water!

Also play with the trimming to try and see if sorting out the line lengths would improve things ... no, seems like it pulls harder with the stretch left in but I bet that's gonna kill the top end. But that's not what the Silberpfeil is for though, is it? Backstalls a lot more though when the wind drops right off. Better email John ...

Wind is up and down so I'm alternating going way upwind and then riding parallel to the beach - and ending up having to ride through the middle of the surfers. After I spray one of them I figure I better just change tack before I ride through them again and work my way upwind. Dodging windsurfer riding along at less than crawling pace is always entertaining too.

Water is so warm that my hands are starting to look like I've been sitting in the bath for too long. My legs are starting to get tired so now I'm pretty much just riding around ... the only other kiter out there is Auntie's Husband on his new 14m RPM and he too is mowing the lawn. Poor old Auntie can't ride on her 12 and still has no luck when she swaps it for the RPM. Huh! He must have some mad lightwind skills or weigh even less than her :o

Finally decide to pack it in around 6pm cos I'm tired and the wind is really on the bottom end of no fun. Reverse land the Silberpfeil ... as I'm securing it, a local kiter comes over to help land but I wave him off - you never know what they'll do with foils ... just as well I did too cos he says "I've never seen that kind of kite before, who makes it?" o_0

Good day, better than working! Ice blocks on the way home!

Wind speed was supposed to be 6.1 to 5.6 m/s for the time I was at the beach with a peak of 8.6 m/s at a quarter to 5. When I got my anemometer out at about 3pm I was reading just on 5 to just over 6 m/s ... compare that with the 6.1 that was posted at 3pm ... it's gotta be an average, eh!

Moment of the Day was discovering "tea-bag transitions" were fun but not as fun as the big boost up the face of the wave with a perfectly timed send for massive long hang time and float ...!

What I learned today ...
• Even almost no waves is still worse than the lake. Ma-aaaaaako!
• Aerial transitions on the SA - tough. You gotta muscle it around hard and fast and edge hard or it stalls.
• Get onto it and pull a rear line ASAP and you'll save even a tip through the bridle!
• Sure, foils are more work to keep flying than the LEIs but the pay-off - how you enjoying the walks, fellas?
• Tea-bag Transitions - send it back and lift your legs so you dip your bum just a bit in the water ... or float above surface ass-down like erm a tea-bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment