Sunday, October 10, 2010

WTF?!?

Forecast was for 6-7m/s (to hell with knots, I'm keeping it metric) one way weather page, 8-9m/s on another ... seems like we actually got 5.

... went down the beach about 1pm, pumped up my Crossbow and looked expectantly at the horizon. Big pile of S.F.A. Packed up the 'bow and unpacked the white monster - Silberpfeil has been unleashed!

Wind finally picked up enough for me and the aircraft carrier to get moving around 3pm then finally picked up good. Had some fun, was enough wind to try silly buggers (paragliding anyone) then suddenly all hell broke loose.

Mad wind, I'm wishing I had the 16 and trim the FS for full depower and tentatively give it some ... great lofty jumps, Batman! Suddenly, the winds dying off and suddenly I'm sailing through the air :o got yoinked off the water like a ragdoll ... tried to keep my feet under me but I'm coming in at a cocked up angle so I ditch the board and make big splash!

Recover board, then get moving again - wind is all over the place (apparently it changed direction) so I head for the shore thinking it'll die right off ... it does, I make it all the way in when the wind drops to nothing and the kite stalls, making a nice tangled mess in the weeds behind the sandy beach - but thankfully, NOT in the water or the shoreline where there's like, bamboo spears ready to rip holes in my shit.

Untangle kite, wind up lines and wait for the wind again. Picks up a bit later but was just teasing me and I dropped the kite in a mess again.

Finally, just before sunset the wind picks up ju-uuust enough that I can mow some lawns and was the sand off my lines ... pack up go home.

What I learned today ...
• Don't forget to put on sunblock. Dick.
• Really gusty wind is a handful with the Speed. Be prepared and stay cool.
• The FS chicken loop/safety system is absolute rubbish ... I gotta get another Ozone Megatron on there ASAP!
• You can never be too far away from learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment