Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Surprise sunset solo soul session

Headed down the lake after work, forecast was 5 m/s on one, 8 m/s on another ... no white caps on the water but the flag is fluttering. Miyachi says "You can ride now! You're the number one low wind rider now!" so egged on, I head to the beach with the Silberpfeil ... it's got to be about 4:45pm by now and the sun is sinking but don't you love how easy it is to unpack a Flysurfer? Roll it out, sand the trailing edge for a hot launch, check the bridles and launch!

Am surprised that there is passably good wind, enough to jump & float around so I take to the water. It's as flat as it's ever been but there's enough wind to ride a beam reach so I cruise around, enjoying the lake I have all to myself. Slowly the wind picks up enough from me to ride upwind a little and some guy with the Locus 2011 Crossbow 14m comes out to join me. I make silly buggers with jumps, having some fun, working the kite and practicing my light wind techniques ... all too easy with the big Speed & Flydoor.

Crossbow guy doesn't get away from the shore and has to walk a couple of times. Someone else pumps a North Rebel 16m up on the beach, but doesn't even bother getting wet and packs it back up after a few minutes. I'm still riding, having fun ;) seems although the wind isn't whipping up the water, there's enough to ride! A very nice surprise!

Miyachi comes out, takes the 'bow and rides for a half hour just before sunset and I chase him upwind - I'm faster and going more upwind! We pack it in as the light is starting to fade from the sky and we pack up in the gathering darkness. Probably got just over an hour on the water, but it was a great ride and I had the lake mostly to myself!

What I learned today ...
• The surprising low end of the Speed 2.5 still amazes me. I thought I'd be floundering around a bit, despite Miyachi's confidence!
• Even in light wind you can still yoink yourself and go floating downwind so far under the kite you can collapse it. Not a huge worry, as it can be relaunched piece of pie. Was a bit of a body drag to the board though and was tough to spot it in the gloom ... thought I was going to lose it :o
• When getting a wedgie, pull down the harness with the handle-pass strap thing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment