Friday, October 1, 2010

Junkies, aren't we all!

My weaseling is better than yours! Not only did I get two hours off work, I got paid for it too :D legit and all!

Left work at 2pm and headed to the lake, got the kite in the air about about 2:45pm. The only other person there was Grandad, setting up his biggest kite. Side launched ol' Relentless and it filled almost instantly ... dunno what went on there. Waited around for a bit but the wind seemed shit so I grabbed the board and hit the water.

Now, I was thinking that the "Walk of Shame" should really be called the "Walk of Can Go Upwind But There's Just Not Enough Wind And It's Not My Fault" but then I realized that the Shame is in being so desperate for a ride that you go out in what you KNOW you can't ride upwind in. Kind of like taking home the fat bird from the pub at the end of the night.

200m walk.
100m walk.
50m walk.
Not walking any more!

Ride around having good fun for an hour or so, then the wind drops off again. I'm still getting back to the launch spot but it's getting to be hard work. Get out of the water for a few minutes for a drink then the wind comes up. Ride until just after sunset! Another 3 hours under my belt. The regular addicts turned up gradually about 5pm.
Yet again, I'm the last person walking, the first person going upwind and you can just see it going through their minds - "Hey look fattie out riding upwind and playing, we can too ... holy shit why won't my kite stay in the air? Why can't I get up on a plane? Why am I walking? What's wrong here?" :D

Pulled a couple of the biggest jumps I've ever done today ... got more aggressive with the kite than normal and it was hang time baby yeah! Landed one, crashed the other on landing. Made some half-hearted attempts at aerial transitions. Loving popping over waves and noodling around, carving up the backs and fronts.

Got that Flysurfer feeling again today - shooting across someone struggling to get up on the board's wake at 45° into the wind :D What good fun!

What I learned today ...
• Light wind is bloody hard work : holding a good stance and trying to make the most of the power is killer on the legs!
• It may be related to sore legs, but my stance goes to hell when there's not enough wind to just stand on the back of the board and shoot upwind!
• The Silberpfeil actually works around the sky pretty good and fast; just go easy on the sheeting.
• Bindings don't stay bloody tight for more than about an hour >:( stupid things!

No comments:

Post a Comment