Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Frash

Hmm, doesn't work as well as a title like "Thursday Thrash" does ...

Skipped out on work early and hit the lake, arriving about 3:30pm. Had to pump up the Crossbow cos the Silberpfeil is out of action. The wind up for sure, and I would have thought twice about launching ol' Relentless ... but probably would have anyway :D wind was forecast to drop off as sunset approached.

Back on the Crossbow was a bit of a shock! Felt like zero bar pressure after the Silberpfeil and turned a bunch faster - kite was all over the sky will I got my LEI touch back. Despite all the whitecaps though, there wasn't much excitement on shore with the 'bow ... hmm. Oh well into the water.

Got up and riding ok although it was a hard bloody slog trying to go upwind. Got a couple of line lengths off shore and just started riding beam tacks, playing around.

My jumping was off - different feel to the Speed, different technique too. I think a lot of my 'jumps' involved me just standing up and jumping off the water by myself, without the kite :D started to get the hang of using the kite after a while and had some nice floaty poppy jumps. Yes, very different to the Flysurfer! Gotta actually send the kite rather than just pulling in the bar! One great thing about the 'bow though ... I intentionally overflew it several times, swinging underneath it like a pendulum and of course it didn't collapse and didn't fall out of the sky too much either. Nice.

Tried some aerial transitions but couldn't get anything - best I got was not sinking as the kite changed directions. MUST have been beginners luck, that other day! Did manage to lob myself downwind at one point, ralley-esque with the board flying off my feet towards my head :o Also landed on my back hard too which was unpleasant but not painful - but I can see how people break ribs!

The wind died off and I had to slog to get back to shore, narrowly avoided having to walk! Oh how I do miss the Speed - I would have had another 30 minutes riding if I'd had the Silberpfeil in the air! Still, beats the ass off sitting in front of TV ;)

What I learned today ...
• I love my Flysurfer.
• I hate pumping.
• Need a helmet.
• Open your eyes when body-dragging - dragging headfirst into the board hurts.
• The 'bow is very fussy about body position or stance relative to making power.

No comments:

Post a Comment