Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Meh

Went to Mie prefecture cos it's supposed to be pumping southerlies. On the way, thinking about Miyachi telling me about his spot at a place called Machiya that doesn't exist on maps, thought I'd go have a look in the general area I thought it would be ... bingo! The psychic navigation technique pays off yet again - ask me sometime how we got around France and Italy in the rental car :)

Kites in the sky, found the carpark, jumped out had a look. High tide, grassy area above the water line strewn with fire remains and rubbish, trees, reeds and assorted shit at the water line ... sigh, another sucky beach. Tough launch site for foils ...

Felt a bit nervous cos the wind was reading 15 knots but that was totally unfounded - spent what felt like an hour floundering in the surf ... wind was dead on-shore, couldn't body-drag out very far from shore and the bottom dropped off real quick so I couldn't walk out. I'd try to put the board on and by the time I'd got it on my feet, kite diving to pull me up I was right back on the sand again, almost. The wind was also totally up and down, not really enough to do anything much but annoy me.

Finally got up and maybe 20 minutes of riding out and back on a good reach, had fun playing a little but then the wind dropped right off so I packed up. Had a nice chat with a guy from Kyoto ... hope I'll see him again!

So could be a good spot. I took the Sumo out cos it's got more rocker than the Door so was hoping it'd be easier in surf. It is, once you're moving, but it's much harder to get planing :(

So a big 'meh' for today then ... but still better than sitting in front of TV :D

No comments:

Post a Comment