Monday, April 15, 2013

Great day for a swim

Noticed at 4 the wind was up, so postponed after-work work and rushed to the lake. "Ooh it's too strong I'm getting my 7" everyone told me, so I took my 15 and 13 over to the lake. I knew we'd only get an hour of cracking wind before it wimped out and I was looking forward to go stratospheric on the Speed3 :)

Launched fine, powered up real good - should be intense! Tack out with the Flyradical (only brought one board to the beach) with the CrazyFly straps* on... first tack only but I narrowly avoid 2 people turning without looking behind themselves and almost riding into me. Nice long tack out the marina end of the beach, set up a small jump to test the weather, no problem. Redirect and SPROING the kite is gone. I pop up out of the water and the kite is down, the bar is missing a steering line.

Great, the same place I had to swim in from with the 21 :( the lake is drifting south, parallel to the beach... I wrap up the lines* and try to keep hold of the board* cos that's shooting off down the beach towards Kusatsu. Thought I could make 'our' beach but the drift is pushing me at the retaining wall that's bristling with bamboo. I opt to go with the drift and take it to the marina beach... naturally, I get tangled up and have line wrapped around my foot but better yet, the buoy that marks the retaining wall has snagged some line too - neat! Then the kite is being pushed away from the beach cos of the 'reflection' of the waves off the shore - I revert to towing it in. Get it drained, out of the water, wrapped up* and then hump it back to the club house.

Back to the beach, I inflate and launch the XB 13... powered but I know the wind is dropping.

Some good boosts for a while, then some ok ones, then it's gone and I'm trying sent front- and back-rolls... lame.

Ride till dark with So and pack up when I can't see the waves. Tough making ground back to the beach but we get there in the end. Interesting session!



Moment of the day was the solitary good front-roll that felt so good - knees up mother Brown!
Mood of the session was worried worried worried - too much wind? gonna make the beach? not enough wind?
It sucks when shit breaks on the first tack.

Weather was reported as 18 to 8 knots, gusts to 24. 14˚C at 44%.
Wind felt like 30% powered, 70% barely-powered :(

What I learned today...
• The CrazyFly footstraps are easier to adjust, stay tight longer and hold well, but still shift around and dig into my feet :(
• Holes in your t-shirt are great for snagging the bar ends when you try to wrap your lines up :(
• Contemplating putting my reel-leash back on the harness for when I have to self-rescue and the board wants to run away or wrap itself up in the kite
• Much easier to handle a wet 15m than a soggy 21
• Whipping your knees up on front-rolls really seems key... and you need a good amount of power

No comments:

Post a Comment