Sunday, April 21, 2013

Bye bye, Flyradical?

Forecast was for awesome picking up to OMFG at 3pm so I thought I could toddle down to the lake just after lunch, set up at a relaxed pace and work up to going bat-shit crazy out there...

Got there about 1-ish, decided on the 10m Crossbow but took both boards over to the lake... hand trouble walking upwind with them though :o got changed and waddled over... gloves but no boots and a nice, new, red t-shirt to start the day.

First half hour on the water was great; huge airs and plenty of hang time. Then the wind dropped right off so I came in and had a drink, stood around for a bit, waiting. It piced up so I went out again, but it wasn't as strong so I just enjoyed some rotations and medium airs.

Another lull, so took another break. Went out when it picked up again and was having a great ol' time!

Wind direction was ll over the place again... at one point, we were riding straight out into the waves and then heading back in right behind them, dropping in over the top of the waves - neat!

Then I went out the other side of the river, to enjoy the sharper waves for boosting off... borked a landing and managed to drop my kite right on top of a fucking buoy - black and moldy on a dark green lake; didn't even see it. So while I'm trying to get the fucking thing out of my power lines, I lost my board. My hook knife has gone missing so I dumped the kite and hand-over-handed and cleared my lines. Am now downwind of the rock wall - try to body-drag past it but give up and just walk over it. While I'm standing on the top, I look around for my board but I can't see it at all :(

The body-drag from hell back to the beach... Miyachi goes for a walk down the beach to look for my board, I walk over the bridge to spot from a height but can't see shit, captain!

Go back out on the Flydoor but despite getting closer to the trees than I should, I can't see anything on the shorelines. Wind is dropping again so I call it a day... and get packed up just before it starts raining on me as well.

Drive up and down the river looking but no luck. Le sigh... Miyachi can't go up the river in his boat so if it's up there, it's gone, it seems...

And to top it all off, my knee is killing me... nuts.



Moment of the day was any of the boosts in the gusts... yeehaw!
Mood of the session was aw yeah! aw ok! aw no!
It sucks when you lose your board because of fucking fisher-assholes.

Weather was reported as 20 to 15 knots, gusts to 30. 11˚C at 57%.
Wind felt like crappy 20%, gravy 60%, and epic 20%.

What I learned today...
• When you really need something and you don't have it... it's bad.
• Somehow, Turkey can get his lines wrapped around mine even though my kite was on the ground.
• Should probably have put my cell number on the board... now I think of it, I could have melted it into the grab-handle. Doh!
• Love the little kites!
• I'm doing something to really hammer my right knee, but not the left. Seems to be not letting the knee flex enough...
• Boards that are white and blue quickly become invisible, especially at eye level on the water.
 The next one(s) are going to be bright and garish.
• Possible replacements... my mind goes straight to Switch, Naish, Underground/Axis and Cabrinha.
• Now, go I go for the same size or slightly bigger? Certainly won't be going smaller...

No comments:

Post a Comment