Monday, February 11, 2013

Long way back home

Went to Hamamatsu for the long weekend and took the gear, but once again I got let down by off-shore wind. Water was lovely and flat though...

Headed home early today hoping to catch an afternoon session on the lake. Snow over the hills into Shiga gave way to blue skies - kinda - so I ditched the wife as fast as possible and flew off to the lake in the new K-wagon; probably arriving about 2:30pm.

I see kites up but they're big ones - GlovesGuy has his 15 up... doesn't bode well for the forecast which should have seen us big guys on 10m kites :(

Gear up and drag my XB16 and boards over to the lake. Yeah, this should be ok... pump it up and jump onto the water with the Flyradical.

Back'n'forth... hmm, need more. Swap to the Flydoor then the wind drops a little and then some more. I struggle back'n'forth again for a while cos hey I'm desperate.

By the time the wind picks up a bit later, I'm ready for it but my hands are starting to fail... f**kin' gloves! Do what I can but by the time everyone else is packing up I can barely hold the bar :(

As we're packing up, the snow that had been constantly falling picks up and makes all my gear soggy. Nice.



Moment of the day was firstly getting out on the water and then still riding (barely) when the others were packing up - I got the light wind skills? Maybe.
Mood of the session was satisfied, puzzled, joyful exhaustion.
It sucks when the spirit is willing but the flesh is a big girl's blouse.

Weather was reported as 9 to 15 knots, 1˚C at 85%. Gusts to 24 knots at 4:30...
Wind felt like it should have had more power.

What I learned today...
• The 5mm fleece-lined gloves have to go... surely they're unnecessary? I took them off to pack up and although my hands were really cold, they weren't that bad - I'm guessing cos the rest of me was so hot.
• XB and loops... not much point, really. Except when you get that magic point and it does the business.
• Could have gotten away with a Flysurfer today - wind was up'n'down but not punchy at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment