Friday, January 25, 2013

Lunch time loony toons

A good forecast today, but NW so it'll be interesting to see if the nasty gusty season is over...

Trot down the lake about 11:30 with a plan to get set up at a very relaxed pace. Turkey is there, going for a run?!?! He has to work at 1 so he's leaving... I've got the place to myself.

Wind looks good. 13 should be ok, wondering if I'd need the 10. By the time I've geared up (12 o'clock annoying neighborhood chimes go off as I leave the carpark) and gotten to the beach, the wind is definitely 13m weather. Should be ok with the small board.

Rig up and launch with my new Contour Roam2 on the line mount... but when I dragged it across the ground to self-launch, it got knocked around and the front loops have come off the mount - it's stuck halfway up the lines. Hook into the landing anchor and sort it out...

Into the water with the Flyradical. Wind is cross to just cross-on and not actually that strong. I ride, but go downwind a little if I jump.

Then it ramps up... holy crap! It's still up'n'down some so I elect to ride out the insane gusts with the 13 and cross my fingers. And battle upwind so I can try my jumps out... Mmm, well they're ok. Not very controlled cos the wind is so jerky. I pootle around for a while, then the wind drops right off again... a short walk up the beach and I land the kite.

Stand around for a bit but it doesn't look like it's coming back and my arms and legs start aching. I got paperwork to do anyway... pack up and head back home.

Back in the car by 2:15pm so probably had about 90 minutes on the water... can't decide if it felt longer or shorter! It was a bit mad!



Moment of the day was trying to do a beach jump-start. Didn't work but I was amused.
Mood of the session was confident suddenly-not-so-sure oh-crap.
It sucks when the wind is gusting from sinking to being yanked off the board.
Song stuck in my head was "Two outa three ain't bad" by Meatloaf.

Weather was reported as 16 to 22 knots, gusts to 38 :o 3.5˚C at 50% from the NW. Cross to cross on-shore...
Wind felt like I was under-powered and over-powered in equal parts, with small mixes of totally insane.

What I learned today...
• Dust does get under the Contour button and lens seal :( will buy a spray can of air cleaner..
• Lens seems to be easily scratched too! We'll see what the footage is like.
• Might have had more fun on the 10m. Except for the silly lulls.
• Still nasty gusty season :( but at least I'm warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment