Sunday, January 20, 2013

It got better as time went on

Supposed to be a good forecast yesterday, they downgraded it to meh today... but the trees were twitching so after lunch out (had smaller potiorns this time!) went to the lake. Probably got there about 1:30pm, eyed the weather and took the 16 to the lake and pumped it up... based on the forecast. I was worrying that I'd actually need my 13 but by the time I got changed, it had dropped and by the time I got on the water, it dropped again.

And so it continued for the afternoon. We all (Gloves Man, Surf-Skater Dude, Turkey, Lexus Stud) struggled to get out and ride when the gusts came then splashed around when they left. Surf-Skater Dude gave up and went home... Junkie Sensei turned up and set up his 12. I thought he was mad. But he might know something...

Stood around on the beach looking at the horizon, thinking I might pack it in... the wind came back so I gave it another shot. Rode well for a bit then it dropped again and I thought I might pack it in... the wind came back so I gave it another shot. No that's not a typo :(

It stuck around this time, so we rode on for what felt like 90 minutes or so. It were gooder :D but I was already tired and now my forearms are killing me so my efforts are limited.

A few good jumps, some good back-rolls, even some front-rolls. Loop transitions too. Crikey! I enjoyed the face-plants cos the water was cool and refreshing. I didn't enjoying missing my footing on the board and being dragged at a giant log and into rocks underwater in front of it - got a boo-boo on my toe.

Wind was shifting from NNW to NNE but was reasonably gentle in its gusts; ie. not punchy. Might be time for the Speeds again... cos I'm not loving the XB16 today :( especially not all the bar pressure and limited range of usefulness.

Was the last off the water though, got changed then packed up in the dark... about 5:45. God I'm knackered!



Moment of the day was getting my mojo back on big phat backrolls.
Mood of the session mellow annoyed happy.
Song stuck in my head was "Cherry Pie" by Warrant (WT actual F?!?!) cos that line "cool drink of water" got jammed in my head. Thanks 93.1FM you assholes.
It sucks when you're so thirsty you have to force yourself to spit out the lake water :o

Weather was reported as 10-16 knots from 1 to 5pm, gusts to 26 at 3; 70% at 5˚C.
Wind felt like 10-15 knots with gusts to 20. It was shit til after 3 though...

What I learned today...
• XB16 didn't want to work with the 'radical, even when I was over-powered slightly on the 'door. Maybe it was just the up'n'down nature of the wind... maybe it's just too big and slow.
• Bar pressure was horrid with the 5mm gloves.
• I think I would have had more fun with the S3 15 or the P4 19.
• MUST put drain holes on big suit! The only thing nastier than elephant legs, rolling your boots off and having lukewarm water trickle out, is rolling your boots off and having buckets of sweat gush out... Oh god I'll never piss in wetsuit again :-/
• Lace straps on the Flydoor are a bit of a fail too. Tough to adjust with the gloves on...

No comments:

Post a Comment