Sunday, June 17, 2012

Wrong is right!

For once the forecast was wrong, but in the right direction - we got more wind that we should have. And Miyachi has fixed the camera; when I looked at 11am it looked to be rocking so I chowed down on lunch and hauled ass.

Nice! Good blow is in and GPV said it'll pick up until 3pm then drop off ... should be a good afternoon! I saddle up ... take the S3 21 & 15 and both Flyboards to the beach. Get on the water about 12.

Start with the Flyradical and am just powered enough to make a jump or two and get back to the starting spot. Noodle around like that for a while the switch to the Flydoor. Much better. Then the wind picks up some so I switch back to the 'radical for the rest of the session.

Some good jumps, one stellar one but the wind is very gusty and lully, making it hard to get up speed and hold it long enough to jump and land without losing the gust and getting dumped. Much fun though!

Couple points worthy of notice ... got sloppy with a launch - got bounced off my edge, honest - and dropped the kite. Bowtie ... tried to untangle by pulling lines. Wasn't happening. I pulled the safety, considering a short swim to shore but when I reeled in the bar, it was looking better at the kite. I put the bar back together then messed with the kite some more ... it wanted to fold in half long-ways (!) but some careful and appropriate pulling on lines got it back in the air! Total - less than it takes the LEI riders to relaunch from LE down ...!!

Same thing again later but I recovered the kite in the air without tangle, but now it's pulling to the right in a turn - I balance it in the air with the LH leader but it's hauling me downwind as I try to figure out what's going on with the RH leader ... by the time it's stable, I'm at the marina beach :-/ and my board is still out in the water. I spot it from the shore though and begin an epic body drag to it. By this time the wind has dropped so I won't be able to ride it out and back to our beach ... slog back to the marina beach and plan on walking - but the work the council did to the river late last year has rendered it uncrossable - fuckers. Body drag out and around the river mouth.

Despite that, I had a nice day!

Song stuck in my head was Chocolate Rain by Tay Zonday. That'll learn me.

Mood of the Session was satisfied tired.

Moment of the Day was simply spotting and recovering my board before it drifted off to Otsu. Again.

Weather was reported as 6 to 11 knots from 12 to 4, with gusts of 20 knots;  23°C at 66%.
Wind felt like just powered, most of the time. I'd say closer to 15 knots that 12.

What I learned today ...
• It's time for thorough sunblock application :-/ got a good set of burns on arms and legs.
• Shorts are becoming a problem. They ride up my thighs and that hole in them lets the harness rub and is painful. Which is just adding insult to injury when they're already a half-mile up the crack of my ass!
• A Short John wetsuit might be the key ... http://hyperflexusa.com/product/cyclone-1-5mm-short-john/
• If I concentrate on not landing on my toes, I can ride around without hurting my right ankle.
• Required surprisingly little space downwind to untangle the big Speed from the second bow-tie this month.
• The 21 is in dire need of a mixer test and line tune, I think - lots of backstalling today.

No comments:

Post a Comment