Thursday, April 28, 2011

Slipped in a sly one!

Forecast looked promising, headed down to the lake after work. Wind looked ok so I thought I'd rush out for a quick blast ... sunset is now pushing 6:30 so if I hauled ass, I could get an hour or more on the water.

Geared up - my US size 12 boots arrived from the Wetsuit Wearhouse last night and they're the perfect fit! Pumped up as fast as I could and that seemed to suck the wind out of the air into my kite :( wind drops off ...

16m Crossbow self-launches fine and I'm riding easily but not powered how I like ... trying to work on perfecting my stance and elevator jumps. Really need to tighten the straps to help with the stance but the pull-pull straps baffle me. Moderate success on the elevator jumps but only on a port tack :( it seems I'm very 'handed' as far as that is concerned.

Accidentally did a back loop/spin/roll - muffed a launch and spun around under the kite but hung on and landed it and rode away. Of course, nobody saw it!

Good session, glad I made the effort even though the wind was light and the lake was full of floating logs, park signs and stuff! 0_o

What I learned today ...
• Proper sent jumps - I can do them. They're just as tough to land though. There's more of a floating downwind feeling to them too which is disconcerting. Boosting up the face of a wave is still the best :D
• The 5mm gloves may be the cause for exploding forearms, not the 16m bar pressure. Will check again when it warms up.
• I load'n'pop to starboard better than to port, but jump much better the other way :(
• Can handle spins, my poor old brain is up to the task! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment