Sunday, March 27, 2011

Forecast fail, weater win!

Forecast wasn't worth a damn but I kept an eye on the webcam as the wind was actually blowing and it wasn't snowing ... about 2pm, people started showing up on the beach so I packed up the car and headed out.

Got to the lake about 2:50pm, got all dressed up and waddled across the road, pumped up the 13 Crossbow. Finished putting on all the clothing - wetsuit, slippers, shorts, harness, gloves and the wind-breaker cos the wind was cold! Probably got onto the water about 3:20-ish ...

Woof! Well-powered and the gusts are good or they would be if I was still in the groove I was in last year ... as it is, I feel over-powered and am pussying around until I feel it, launch a nice big jump :) Finally starting to get the form back ...

Wind is up and down for a while, shifty and gusty but stay out for 2 hours having a great time until it finally dies away to almost nothing and I ride it in to shore.

Hard time landing the really big jumps - don't remember landing a single one :D just so off-the-ball these days and getting wet and cold doesn't ring my bell. Tried some toeside again, carving turns and what-not but the desire to get dunked holds me back - although I get dunked a whole heap. Body-dragging for 10 minutes in snow-melt supplied water, while refreshing, isn't too much fun ... one or two epic big jumps though - is fun :D

The wetsuit is good, although the jets of water up the legs are annoying. The gloves are awesome, hands not even cold at all and the windbreaker is the bomb - it's actually somewhat waterproof as the water that got in the top stays in and slowly drains out the zipper! Wind on cold wet head was giving me a headache at times ... lost my SeaSpecs during a bail - 2 pairs left!

Packed up as the sun was sinking, last one off the water and last one riding - the other 2 hangers-on were walking ;) Good day that came out of nowhere!

What I learned today ...
• SeaSpecs don't float.
• Don't say "DOH!" as you head face first into the water ... cough splutter choke!
• Try the wider stance binding mounts next time.
• Move your heels closer to the edge - makes for better edge control. Not sure if it's a good idea to try and hold the board on your feet with just toes though ...
• Form! Head up, eyes on the horizon, drive the hips forward. FFS.
• Send it you sissy!
• Bring a smaller board too.

No comments:

Post a Comment