Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bring out the gimp!

So my new Dakine Fusion and Hyperflexx Access wetstuit arrived from www.kite-line.com this week ... due to a computer error was sent to our previous address and for some odd reason the post office didn't forward it so I had to make a run to the old house and brave the febrile wrath of the psychotic bitch neighbor.

After a successful raid, I took it home and tried it on ... fits ok! Bit stiff and a lot snugger than I prefer my clothes but it's a wetsuit, it's supposed to be like that ... no? That I fit it at all is kick-ass!

Wind & weather co-operate for Wednesday afternoon so after work (ahem) finishes and Spring holidays commence, I hit the lake for my first session all trussed up, squeaky and stiff! To add to the kook image, I wore my shorts over the 'suit ... firstly to protect the suit from my harness and secondly, I went commando and if the suit split, it'd be a chilly shock to the boys. Had the top folded down so I could bend over and pump up the 13m Crossbow ...

... took to the water with the wetsuit, Ion Ballistic slippers and a pair of $3 rubber gardening gloves on. Road-side thermometer had said 6 degrees on the way to the lake ... it was cold, and I was uncomfortable, but I wasn't suffering. Blasts of water up the leg of the suit were "invigorating" and while the gloves were dry inside, they held off the wind-chill nicely.

I got game and started doing some jumps and playing silly buggers ... still not in the swing of things though and it was all very awkward feeling. Stayed out for a good solid hour at least, probably closer to 90 minutes ... at the end of which water that had gotten inside my gloves were freezing my hands. Still not as bad as no gloves though and they warmed up quickly without aching which is nice.

Although it was very gusty and we got hit by lulls a couple of times, I was glad I didn't take the 16m out - when it was on, it was all on! I could also see the potential for having a smaller kite and working the ass off it ... that is, I can understand how some people say "You don't need a big kite!" ... the difference in bottom end between the 16 and 13 is not that much and the 13 works better. Wind was also real shifty - watched it go from nor-easter to nor-wester in a second or two!

Land the kite, change into clothes then come back to the beach to pack up the kite. While I was bagging up, the windsurfer-convert who started last season came over and gave me his neoprene gloves cos they were too big for him! How cool is that?!

What I learned today ...
• Wetsuit works great to keep me warm (-ish) but is stiff, making it hard to get feet into straps. I'm looking forward to not having to wear it.
• I need booties to stop water going up my legs. Maybe for end of season ...
• Shorts, while some may think look too kooky, actually add a noticeable layer of windchill protection - next time, I'm at least wearing my t-shirt if not my orange parka.
• 13m is a great kite!
• I'm very rusty out there! Everything from turns to jumps ... I'm betting fear of falling into frigid water has something to do with it too!
• Should take more than one board to the lake ...!

No comments:

Post a Comment