Thursday, April 22, 2010

The wind has ADHD

Forecast yesterday was promising 16 knots from the north so I was looking forward to a good evenings play time. Had to wait for the grounds keeper to clear off so I launched the Cult from the riverbank to see if it would be enough for the wind that was/wasn't there. Well ...

I must have been a sight to see - parked kite at the zenith, arms were jerking up and down like a puppet on a string. Like rap dancer waving their hands in the air cos they just don't care. Like Scotty flicking the "engine on/off" switch to get back at Kirk for sleeping with Uhura ... you get the picture. So I do some stunting to pass the time ...

Ok Mr Dingleberry the park nazi has finally gone, so I pull the board out of the boot (trunk for our Yankee brethren) and move myself onto the soccer dirt strip.
Whee what fun - it's gusting from like 0 to 30 knots and the wind is all over the place, northeast at one end, northwest at the other. Doing the herky-jerky to get rolling then running totally out of steam in the middle, working it through then get mad power roll in right as I'm heading straight at the open door of the porta-potty on one side or the power lines on the other. The Cult is stalling all through the power zone and going completely flat like a sheet of paper then powering up like it's a JATO rocket.

Despite all that, I had a bit of fun.

And guess what? You CAN jump with a 3.5m kite! Send the kite up from just above 9 or 3 as fast as you can and yes, even my fat arse goes sailing through the air! I thought that was all very amusing and laughed heartily until the Cult lifted me and the board right off the ground - when the kite was at zenith! That's when I knew it was time to pack up ...

No comments:

Post a Comment