Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Asking for trouble

Gusty, gusty and more gusty. Did I say it was gusty? Cos it was gusty. I mean REAL gusty not that lame kind of gusty but gusty. Need I say more?

Ok I do. My teachers at school called it "verbal diarrhea" and so will you. Stand back!

Took the Rebble out to the park to put the new PL handles Dino from Dakites on but I got all excited by the amount of wind there actually was and decided to ride instead of fiddle with lines. No kite-killers cos they're still on the Ozone, just the back-strap. I did have my new gloves on though :D bought them at a tools store for $12 - they've got nice soft leather palms. Blah blah anyway.

Also put the GoPro on the helmet; trying to find a good angle - last day's filming was a great view of my hands and the lines but no kite, like that old gag of the invisible dog dog-collar with a wire in it. I know what I mean. Or of my feet which was interesting maybe, if feet are your thing. Turned the camera on and forgot about it.

Phew, it was gusty but I think I mentioned that already. Lots of searching for the wind then fighting it when I found it. Seemed like I could only pick it up at either end of the field or only going left to right. Come to the conclusion that the back-strap is not the best kit in gusty winds - got yoinked a few times, got hauled downwind like I'm running down the side of a hill all giant steps and all. Then I was coming in to a stop and tried to slide but was off-balance and just let the kite go - so yes, the back-strap does come off over a helmet no problems. Got back on the horse, untangled the mess of bridle and kept going till dark with less entertaining cock-ups. Though my record of never falling off the landboard is still intact and Carl will say I'm not going hard enough and now I've jinxed myself bragging about it I'll probably take the skin off my elbows and bugger my shoulder next time I'm out. Oh well.

Was surprised to find that I got nearly the whole session on film, including the screw-ups. Once I've pruned out 49 minutes of boring crap, I'll post the remaining 2. Great bit of kit the GoPro, I've yet to charge the batteries since receiving it and done 2 days of filming, about 8Gb of movies.

Well, it was better than going home and sitting in front of the telly anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment