Monday, November 11, 2013

Oh well... Part 4.

It's never-ending, eh...

Red arrows on the weather forecast. Got to the lake at 2pm... nowt. As in zilch, zip, nothing. There was more wind in my trousers. Sat in the car sulking... was about to drive away for a coffee when the wind arrived. Keen! Geared up and headed over to the lake...

Should be good for the 13. But by the time I'd laid out the lines and pumped up, it was picking up. I launched the kite but it was clear I couldn't ride that...

Pack up, back to the car for the 7m Core. Pump, set up, launch... hmm, a little underpowered. Try the Origin. Huh! going upwind but not powered enough to boost. Crazy!

Go back out on the Dialer... bit rough, bouncing off the chop - gnarly. Have a few good hacks 'n' slashes...

Kite actually pulls enough to ride upwind fine without pulling so hard you need to lean against it, but needs to be worked hard for bursts of speed and it's damned fast! Too fast for me...

Right about the time I decide to sell it on, I fall off doing something simple but the wind blow my board up, into the air and... into my lines. Steering leader gets tangled, the kite loops into the water and r-i-i-i-i-p... nuts.

So that was that. Should have gone out on the 10m XB and had a boost fest. Le sigh.

Weather was reported as 16 to 18 knots, gusts to 35 :o 12˚C at 70%.
Wind felt like 10m gusting to 8m weather.

What I learned today...
  • If I decide I really don't like a kite and decide to sell it, I should get off the water before something bad happens :-/
  • Shame, cos it was a good kite. I bet Miyachi can fix it easy but then who will buy it?
  • Maybe I could make a jacket after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment