Sunday, January 29, 2012

A sip of the Epic Kool-aid

It is with utmost gratitude for the over-whelming generosity of Matt (aka WaterManFitness) that I now have a very nearly brand-new Epic Infinity V2 to play with for a while :o Thanks again Matt!

So this'll be an ongoing review type posting about the kite and how I get along with it. After all the hype we get on the forums, it's great to get my hands on the thing and get a closer look at it...

First the easy stuff to 'review'.

The Bag
... is large and easily handles a kite that is loosely folded and wasn't squeezed totally empty of air. I think if you strapped, vacuum-packed or spent some time on it, you travel with the Infinity and 1, maybe 2 smaller kites in the bag.
... is well designed. With a full length pocket for the bar with a draw-cord on the top, that secures the stuff from flapping around catching on things like the Cab bag & bar does. There's a loop/strap setup on the other side for the pump. The zip on the front of the bag is small 'gauge' which looks easy to break... I like big chunky ones. There's a large pocket on the top of the bag, probably big enough for a sweater or jacket to be stashed. Plenty of straps to carry boards and cinch up the contents tight.
... is graphically pleasing.
... includes a 'day' bag or lightweight bag to take to the beach. Made of the same kind of material as the Peter Lynn sand bags, it has a draw-cord top, shoulder strap and a zip at the bottom so you can carry the kite with the spars inflated.

The Bar
... has knurled grips like the Ozone bars; nice for the fingers.
... has an odd, bulky trim system but it works fine.
... has a stopper ball that should work nicely. It also keeps the safety line separate so that'll please some people.
... is acceptable overall but seriously—for a bar that costs the same as a North or Cabrinha bar and at least 1/3 as much again as the Switch bar, it's over-priced for what you get IMHO. Especially considering that it...
... has a QR. Read below :-/

The Kite
... is deep blue with minimal graphics; yellow struts with the Epic pattern thingy on it.
... has a simple bridle made of regular amsteel and... rings for the sliders. Rear pig tail is unfinished length of that stitched stuff FSer used for bar leader lines on the Speed2 etc. Hmm.
... has a small diameter LE and struts; remind me of my 13m Xbow I guess. The struts themselves have quite a severe dog-leg in them - I guess that adds to the canopy profile for effective apparent wind building. Interesting.
... is made of regular kite material, more like my 2011 Cabrinha's - whatever that is. Doesn't feel as heavy as the Cab stuff, and not as light as the 2012 Slingshot kites I've fondled.
... is made adequately - I'd like to see that seam on the LE taped; the rubber bumpers that cover the bridle attachment points should IMHO be ditched and the saved weight used to beef up the dacron on the contact bumpers on the spars.
... has regular valves. Yikes, seriously? OMFG after using Cab's Sprint system forever, going to these tiny little things is a real work-out. Do. Not. Like. Also, the little velcro strap has a bungy to keep the valve plugged. Eek.
... was probably under-inflated and was all floppy like I'm not used to a kite being. I blame the effort required to pump it up and just giving up on it. Will use a gauge next time. ALTHOUGH it occurs to me that if you want to increase strength with thin-wall tubing, you increase the diameter - which explains why the Crossbows are more rigid... and have a fatter LE. Will see notice how this affects relaunch.

How's it fly, Mister?
... quite nicely actually! Medium to light bar pressure, and it seems to fly off the rear lines - in fact, how it feels at the bar reminds me of an arc... hands need to be wider than the Xbows for easy one-handed turns.
... easy self-launch and -land, just grab the center line and down she comes. Nuff said.
... turns quick & smoothly and makes power through the turns easily - non-stop scuds down the beach! But it's still a big kite - I don't think the turn rate is anything like the claims of "turns like a 12m!" that I've heard :( certainly not quicker than my 13.
... good pull, a real tractor when it's on the boil - can't wait to get it on the water!

Do Not Like
... the QR that is a horror show :o (It's a Blade part too which puts me off even thinking about a Fat Lady!) The QR has a very inconsistent feel and release load, and even at it's 'easiest' to release, it's still a struggle to overcome the friction of the locking clip. Often, I can't release it with my left hand; the one with the wrist I broke a few years ago and still has a weaker grip than the right... I'd hate to be out in the cold with numb hands and have to bail! Total fail. One good thing to say about it - I buried it under the sand, jammed sand every where I could but it still released... about the same as normal. Which meant it nearly required 2 hands! Replace it with a Switch QR for $30.
... its rotor-head for unspinning the lines that sticks terribly when it's loaded. See the solution above if it bothers you.
... the tendency to fall out of the sky on a slack bar that is, IMHO, more pronounced that my 16m Xbow due to the fewer struts, enhanced turning speed and need for tension on the rear lines. 'course, I could be wrong ;) or just lazy about keeping it in the sky.

All with the usual caveats - IMHO, for me, at my level now, at this time and place ;)

Winds from 2 to 4pm were 11 to 14 knots with gusts to 21 (2:30pm). It was bloody cold - less than 4°C...

No comments:

Post a Comment