Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Light, gusty but fun

Sneaky session!

After the squash game fell through, went down the estuary to see what it was like - but the tide wasn't in :(  went for a drive and when I came back, it looked much better. Nobody else here though ... hmm. Oh well why not ...

Out comes the very big guns. Just powered, holding ground ok and trying some jumps and rotations ... bit gusty but powered enough for some B-I-G jumps - mega-hang time! The kind that you go WOOHOO on the way up then land and remember there's only a foot of water under your fins ... oops. Had people in the carpark and on the side of the road going woohoo! too which was kind of cool :)

Rode about 2 hours then gave it up as my legs were getting tired. Sam said "Well you looked powered - I'll have a shot after I finish my lessons!" :) hope he had fun!

Moment of the Day was, for once, not landing the biggest jump I think I ever down nor even the feather-soft landings I get from the Flysurfer but was, in fact, the rather stylish back-roll transitions I can do now - get a bit of a loft in the middle and they feel real nice :D

Weather was pretty crappy ... powered in the gusts, where were often, and holding ground - just - in the interim. A couple of drop outs left me worried.

What I learned today ...
• More sunblock, jackass!
• A little more leg action and a slower kite across the zenith give for a nice big back-roll transition - whee!
• Refining the jumps ... don't try too hard. Don't over-edge the board. Don't use too much body-english. Don't redirect the kite too soon ...
• Don't land heavy with weight over your toes - hurts my ankle ... better to land heavy on the heel!

No comments:

Post a Comment