Friday, December 23, 2011

Shaken, not stirred!

Landed in Christchurch, New Zealand yesterday about 5pm ... went to the in-laws and crashed.

Got up the next morning and did a little business in the morning, then picked up the rental car. I went out to the beach alone to check it out - Estuary park looks awesome, nice grass area to set & launch and maybe landboard - then came home and started loading some gear into the car.

I'd just started rustling up the wife to come with me when the first earthquake hit - 5.8 on the Richter and 20km away to the NE and 8km deep. A good 'un! We had a few after-shocks but we jumped in the car anyway and headed back to the estuary - flat water awaits!

Got to the estuary and the tide wasn't properly in. Wind was cold and well up - I hadn't brought either my smaller Xbow or my wetsuit. As we were talking to another couple, another quake hit - 6.0 and only 10km away, 6km deep! Very violent, both the wife and the other couple got thrown to the ground ... I managed to keep my feet though - boarder skillz!

Had tons of daylight left and although I had to drive across the city, it takes very little time thanks to good drivers and road design. So we went home and got the 13m Xbow and wetsuit ...

Lots of liquifaction around the eastern suburbs, water and mud welling up ... gonna be heartbreaks out there today.

Got back to the estuary at 6pm and hit the water with the 13 and the Flydoor. Nicely powered, just comfy and having fun! A bit rusty - some messy jumps and rotations. Tried out the Flyradical but not enough wind. Go back to the 'door ...

Good session, I had fun and LOVED the flat-water! So nice to ride ... must get in some practice on toe-side while I can!!! Bit short, I could have done with another hour I think ...

Went home, had a souvlaki on the way and then enjoyed more quakes throughout the night ...

EDIT: Plummet gave me a link to a good weather site here - http://www.swellmap.com/surfing/new-zealand/new-brighton-beach

Moment of the Day was the flat-water riding! So smooth, so easy ...

Weather was I don't know. Felt like 15 to 20 knots. Probably 20°C but the wind was quite cold. I was comfortable in the wetsuit - until I had to take it off :o

What I learned today ...
• Flat-water is great! Easier to build up speed and hold it working the kite (duh!) but still not a magic pill for being a fattie ... everyone else was on 10's or 11's, and I was on a 13m bow kite and a huge board :(
• Shallow water is a bit freaky ... especially when the tide goes out :o
• And when the tide is out, it's time to stop - or the bottom will grab your board and stop you.
• Mud is just nasty.
• It gets everywhere and is hard to wash off.
• It's both easier and harder to boost off flat-water cos there are no waves-as-launch-ramps  but there are no waves-as-brakes either ...
• I think I'm right in saying that shallow water runs smooth when there's nothing on the bottom ... those were the spots my fins touched down first!
• I hate Macs.

No comments:

Post a Comment