Monday, May 17, 2010

Trying to test new No Snag handles but ...

... there's been no wind for the last several days!

My first attempt at No Snag handles for the Revolution 1.5 SLE was the fairly common use of wall plugs and screws. Went together ok but after a few flights, one handle had the top mount pop right out. Revs don't fly on 3 lines :( Decided that the handles are probably Imperial measurement and the plugs here are metric - either just too small or just too big :D

After wandering around the hardware store and thinking about options, I thought about putting a solid plastic plug in then drilling out the original steel triangle clip holes and just threading the leader lines for the handles through the hole - hopefully, and rough edges would be removed or covered by the plug. Once the plugs were in though, they wouldn't come out without a battle ... then had a brain wave!

Got a bunch of pens and mechanical pencils that were half-empty and checked the size of the ink tube ... the mechanical pencil was the right size for the hole in the handle and it's internal diameter was the largest. So I pushed a short piece of that into the handle holes; just long enough so that when the vinyl cap was put on, the pencil tube was just flush with the cap. Threaded the leader through, some fresh knots and it's ready for a test!

No luck with the wind for 4 days though :D Bit of a puff there today so had a play ... the handles seem good and the leaders show no sign of wear - which is hardly surprising! I notice the rings aren't there - apparently I used to tuck my index fingers under them when flying so now it feels a little odd! But no loss of control due to looping a line under the triangle.

Also notice that I'm lazy and only really turn by pulling the right brake. When concentrating on symmetrical turns at both edges of the wind window, I seem to favour the one direction of rotation. When I forced myself to go the other way, noticed that the wrist was stiff and it felt awkward. Another no surprise cos it's the one I broke late last year. Good therapy, the Rev!

No comments:

Post a Comment