Thursday, May 12, 2016

Ride, swim, walk

Went to the lake to get out of the house and spent some time tuning up the Speeds. All the lines were in need of a tune. The mixer on the 12 had stretched a half dozen mm, the 15 had shrunk 3/4 of an inch (my Amsteel pulley lines made in NZ), and the 21 was perfect.

By then, the wind had picked up a little so I thought I'd give the foil a run. Took the 15 and the 21 to the lake, but thought I was even pushing it with the 21.

Hot-launched, but it needed serious pumping. I got out on the water and was up, riding, and going upwind fine so it was all good! Had a nice time just flying, playing with the load n' float of the foil, trying out the downloop transitions . . .

. . . all went well until I duffed a downloop and then noticed that the wind had dropped. How did I notice? Cos I couldn't relaunch the kite :-/ I did manage a half-successful attempt at a reverse launch, but there just wasn't enough wind to over-come the now soggy wing tips and it wrapped a bridle and I couldn't get air into the center to open it out. Total wind drop-out.

So I wrapped it up and started my swim in. Got the lines in easy then started the roll up. Much easier having a floating board to dump it on!

I was making my way in, when some fisherschmucks in a boat came past. I was sure they were just interested in having a gawp, which was confirmed when they asked the dumbest question, "Are you ok?" To which I of course replied, "Yes fine thanks" and finished my swim. Tossers, if you'd actually wanted to help perhaps offering it would have been a good idea . . .

Not so much water in the kite, but it still got terribly sandy as I laid it out on the south marina beach, reading for the hike up the road . . . which was actually the worst bit of the whole ordeal.

Oh well, such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment