Sunday, December 16, 2012

About bloody time

10 whole days since the last time out... we've had wind, but it's been off-shore till today. And apparently yesterday but had to work... bastard thing that it is.

Got up early (before 10) and got to the lake by 9:30 and probably onto the water by 10.

Took the 16 and the 13 over to the lake cos the wind seemed a bit light. Measured 12 knots at the beach, gusts to 20. Hmm, supposed to pick up a bit - I should probably go for the 13...

Get into the water with the Flyradical and the 13 and am just a little underpowered. Have a nice time laying out some phat rotations that all go perfectly. Then the wind picks up and other people arrive and I bork up all the rotations. So I just settle for throwing the biggest jumps I can :)

Bloody gusty - getting a tad worried at points, especially with people down-wind of me. After one jump too, I looped the kite to change directions and the LE folded on the outside tip, stopped the kite, then reformed and took off again - superman!

Ride for about 2 and a half hours before my forearms totally give out... hate having to use thick gloves! By this time though, the wind has picked right up and the gusts are making me wish I'd had my 10m up. According to JMA which I check later in the day, I got to ride the peak wind of the day :)

AmpIII is a great suit but so far is total over-kill... hot as Hades if I'm not wet and in the wind. And a bloody effort to get off - I tried to slip it over both shoulders like they say you should but that's just impossible. So I went back to getting one arm out then rolling it off... Easy to put on though. Maybe a 4/3mm would be better...



Moment of the Day was getting a Speed3 worth boost on the Crossbow!
Mood of the session was stoked mildly-anxious sweaty.
It sucks when

Weather was reported as 16 to 18 knots, gusts to 28! 11˚C, 60%.
Wind felt like slightly under-powered to nicely over-powered to BLOODY HELL!

What I learned today...
• AmpIII is much easier to put on using a plastic bag on hands and feet. Still trying to figure out a solution to getting it off!
• Crappy gusty season is not over yet :(
• Need to tune the bar, I think. Kite flew better with a bit of trim on when it was powered.
• I wonder if 2mm fleece gloves would be better than 5mm unlined gloves...?

No comments:

Post a Comment