Thursday, September 20, 2012

Home again

At long bloody last, we've got wind from the north that is forecast to be rideable... probably. I'm at my furtherest away work place but luckily, I got to work 10 minutes early so I clock out 10 minutes early too. Got to the lake about 4:30pm...

Looks ok but The Gloves Guy is on his 15 and doesn't look like he's going upwind well. So it'll be the 21 then... I take both boards to the lake, just in case.

But by the time I've laid out the 21, and dusted off the sand from Thailand, the wind is up enough that I think I might just be able to ride the 'small' board... so I jump in the water ahead of some noob and haul ass out onto the sweet, flat (lumpy), fresh water of Mother Lake.

Well, I'm going upwind but while the jumps are average, I'm losing ground downwind and having to work to get back up the beach. Make the most of the "flat" water and get back into rotations... but they were still easier to do in Thailand! Everything was easier to do on actual flat water LOL

Man, the 21 is slow :D redirecting for jumps is fine cos it's got so much lift but front- or back-rolls just are impossible to use the kite to pull me out of a big one... I get why people like small kites.

Ride till dark, last one off the lake and packed up. Gr-rrravy!


Moment of the day was the kiteloop that wasn't a surprise... I felt the pull when I looped it and sheeted it all perfectly, for a nice yank downwind to a soft, fast landing out the other direction...

Mood of the session was happy.

It sucks when you do a downloop transition but the board digs its nose in and you get dragged on your balls downwind for the rest of the loop...!


Weather was reported as 10 knots, gusts to 18; 67% at 27°C.
Wind felt like I was 50% just powered but 100% wanting more. Figure that one out.


What I learned today...
• There's a fucking rock or something at the near end of the beach that I've ridden into with my 'radical now too, fuck it.
• Lines are out of whack on the 21 but that's fine, I got spares...
• I love riding the 'radical!
• Wind-chill is enough that I'll need at least my summer wetsuit soon! Water is still warm though...

No comments:

Post a Comment